How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a form 1098-T. Box 2 is $2079.00 and Box 5 is $4090.00

This answer was rated:

I have a form 1098-T. Box 2 is $2079.00 and Box 5 is $4090.00 from a Pell Grant. Do I have to include the difference between the two of $2011.00 as income? Asked the IRS and they said no, but still feel funny about it.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. No you do not have to report the difference between Box 2 and Box 5. Use the amount reported in Box 2 to claim the educational tax credit. You can read more about Form 1098-T at .

Marvin,EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you