How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my IRS SS-4?

This answer was rated:

I lost the copy of my SS-4 form. Where can I get it (I have my EIN number already) or the filing receipt?

An actual copy of the SS-4 form is not available, unless you kept a copy for your records.

If you need verification of the EIN number that was assigned to you by the IRS, you can request what is called a 147C Letter. To request this, you should send a letter to the IRS Service Center where you normally file your tax returns Indicate that you need a 147C Letter to verify the EIN number assigned to you, and explain the reason you need this information.

The IRS will then issue you a letter to verify the EIN you were issued, but they will not supply you with a copy of your original application on the SS-4 form.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What about a filling receipt?

I am not sure the reason you need a filing receipt or a copy of the SS-4, but the fact that you were issued an EIN should in itself be proof that you filed the form. The IRS does not issue copies of the SS-4 or a receipt for the filing of the form. They will only supply you with a letter to confirm the EIN you were issued if you have misplaced this information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have the EIN but it doesn’t say my business name on it and I need it for DHL to bring in my packages from customs.

Then you should request the 147C Letter that I talked about in my first response. The letter you receive from the IRS should contain both your business name and the EIN that was issued for that business name.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions