How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i claim my 25 year old son as dependent he is full time

This answer was rated:

can i claim my 25 year old son as dependent? he is full time student lives with me and earned $3166.00 last year....he also received grants and student they make a difference?

Hello purple,


You may claim your son as a dependent as long as you provided for more than half of his total support and as long as he did not have income of his own of more than $3,650 for the year. Assuming that his grants are not taxable, they would not be included in determining the income level of $3,650, and the student loans are not considered income.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you purple



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do know if grant is taxable

Hello purple,


If the grant money was used to pay for tuition and eligible related student fees, then the grant should not be taxable income. If the grant was used for personal expenses, then it would be taxable income.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you purple



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you