Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can you claim pre-tax dependent care after age 5

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2010
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Do you have a flexible spending account that you would like to contribute to pre-tax?

this is from an fsa account can you use those funds for dependant care after age 5 a nd receive tax credits

Yes, you can use the FSA to pay day care for your dependent even after age 5. Please note that the payment has to be for extended day care and not for the tuition fees for Kindergarten or higher grade in any private or public school/institution. If the money is used from FSA than since this pre tax you cannot claim dependent credit on the same amounts.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)