How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im not certain as to whether I received a $250 Economic Recovery

Resolved Question:

I'm not certain as to whether I received a $250 Economic Recovery Payment or not. A search of all my bank transactions for 2009 reflects no such activity. Of course, I could have received and cashed the check with no audit trail available to me.

I am a widowed 78 year-old retired federal employee (Air Force) who was not eligible to pay into the Social Security system. Hence, I receive no income from the SSA. I also do not receive any compensation from the railroad retirement program or the Veterans Administration. I receive my annuity directly from the Bureau of Management and Budget.

According to every IRS resource I can locate by myself, it appears that only people receiving SSA, railroad retirement benefits, or VA benefits or pension would have received the $250 payment. IRS instructions tell me that if I'm uncertain about whether I received payment or not, to contact one of the agencies above. None apply to me. How do I discover whether or not I was paid the $250?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello Dan,


If you were not receiving benefits from the SSA, railroad retirement program or the VA, you would not have been sent the $250 payment.


If this was helpful please press the Accept buton.


Thank you Dan



Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you