How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i sold my house to my dad for the payoff, the difference between

Resolved Question:

i sold my house to my dad for the payoff, the difference between the payoff and the apraised value was about $12,000, can my dad claim a gift tax exemption and does that affect me claiming it on my taxes
Submitted: 7 years ago via Answerly.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello jlp,


Gifts are never tax deductible. Gifts which exceed $13,000 in one year to the same individual must be reported by the donor to the IRS. But gifts below that amount do not need to be reported. At the same time, gifts to friends or family members can never be claimed as any type of exemption.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you jlp



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you