How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a 1099 misc from employer for tuition paid do I

This answer was rated:

I received a 1099 misc from employer for tuition paid do I have to pay tax on it?

Why did your employer issue Form 1099 Misc for tuition paid? Was it based on an agreement between the employer and employee?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

at the time I was a student nurse and the agreement was that they would pay for

part of my tuition if I agreed to work for them for two years after graduation but upon graduation they didn 't have a position for me.

Since the terms were not carried out accordingly, I guess the employer issued you a Form 1099 Misc.


Yes, you will have to report this amount from Form 1099 MISC on your tax return and pay taxed accordingly.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

does this mean I need to file a 1040 instead of the 1040ez that was sent to me?

I don't see a place for a 1099 just a w2

Yes, you will file Form 1040.



RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you