How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in an automobile accident that resulted payments for

Customer Question

I was in an automobile accident that resulted payments for disability from my auto insurance. I received over $32,000 from State Farm auto insurance in 2009. Will this be taxable? We personally paid for the insurance with money already taxed.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello sandy,


If your auto coverage included a provision for disability benefits in the event of an accident related disability, then as long as you are the one who paid the premiums for this coverage, this would not be taxable income to you.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you sandy



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I realized that I got this answer and then left to go to an appointment. Can you send me an email or link that I can enter my payment information on?


In other words, I still owe you $15 for my answer and I need a place to enter my charge card information!

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello sandy,


You already paid the $15 for this question. You do not owe any additional money. But thanks for checking.