How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my son on my tax return as a dependent who is incarcerated

Resolved Question:

Can I claim my son on my tax return as a dependent who is incarcerated? I send him money monthly, pay his life insurance, and maintain home until his return.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, you can claim your son under the Qualifying Relative rule as a dependent if:


1) He does not file a married-joint return with someone

2) He is a resident of North America

3) He cannot be claimed by someone else as a dependent

4) His own gross income is less than $3,650 for 2009

5) You provided over half of his total support for 2009


For more info on these tests, see IRS Publication 17 Personal Exemptions and Dependents


Hope this helps,

Best regards,


JKCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you