How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my sons rent that I pay each month while he is

Customer Question

Can I claim my son's rent that I pay each month while he is in College full time on my taxes
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello Ladydiamond,


The IRS only allows you to claim qualified educational expenses that are directly related to the cost of tuition and academic fees. The IRS provides the following list of items which are specifically not allowed:



Expenses That Do Not Qualify


Qualified education expenses do not include amounts paid for:

  • Insurance,

  • Medical expenses (including student health fees),

  • Room and board

  • Transportation, or

  • Similar personal, living, or family expenses.

This is true even if the amount must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you ladydiamond