How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Question I was divorced in 2008... Are court oredered

This answer was rated:

I have a Question:
I was divorced in 2008... Are court oredered parenting plan states that I am to claim one of our three children but my exwife has claimed all three on this years filing causing my electronic filing to be rejected.

She has not received her refund yet.

What can I do?

Hello 2009,


Which of you is actually the custodial parent? (The parent with whom the child lives for most of the year)



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am custodial of one of our three children

And is the child that you have physical custody of the one that you are allowed to claim according to your divorce decree?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Summary of Children

Child 1 - 18 in college - Mother is custodial Parent

Child 2 - 16 I am Custodial Parent

Child 3 - 11 Mother is custodial Parent


Child 1 & 3 Spent more than 6 months with their mother

Child 2 spent more than 6 months with me


Child 2 is my exemption per divorce papers (Marriage dissolution Agreement and Parenting Plan)


Executed by Judge on December 5th, 2008

Hello again 2009,


Thank you for the additional information.


As long as you are the custodial parent of child #2, then you have the right to claim that child. That is automatic. A divorce decree typically only sites an exception to that rule. In other words sometimes even though a child physically lives with one parent, the divorce decree may state that the non custodial parent can still claim the child. But in your case you are the custodial parent to begin with, so you have the right to claim the child unless the divorce decree said otherwise.


Since your former spouse already claimed all 3 of the children, if you now try to e-file your return would be rejected, as you already found out. What you will need to do now is file your return by mail and attach a statement explaining what happened here. It is too late to intercept your wife's refund, but once the IRS receives your return, they would notify your former spouse to provide support for her claim to the child, which of course she will be unable to do. At that point the IRS will send her a notice of the additional amount of tax she must repay as a result of her one exemption being disallowed and you would receive credit for the exemption.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you 2009



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there an option that I can print this conversation in its entirity?

Hello again 2009,


I sometimes have problems printing the pages from this forum, but what usually works for me is if you highlight the entire page using your mouse, then hit "print selected text" -- that usually works.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button so I may receive credit for helping with this question.


Thank you 2009



Edited by Merlo on 2/1/2010 at 6:45 PM EST
Merlo and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt help.



Thank you 2009 and let me know if you have more questions.