Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is the tax consewuence of making a gift to an individual

Customer Question
in a tax year of...
What is the tax consewuence of making a gift to an individual in a tax year of over $13,000?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello bl,

First, if and when gift tax is ever due, it is paid by the donor and not by the recipient of the gift. However, under current regulations, each taxpayer is allowed to give gifts in their lifetime of up to $1 million before any gift tax becomes due. This is part of what is called the Uniform Tax Credit Act.

In addition to the $1 million lifetime exemption, each individual is allowed to give annual gifts of up to $13,000 to any number of individuals, and those gifts do not even apply towards the lifetime exemption, nor do they need to be reported. Gifts which exceed the annual exclusion of $13,000 must be reported by the donor by filing Form 709 with the IRS to report the value of the gift. However, no tax is actually due unless that donor has already reached his $1 million lifetime limit. The amount reported then reduces that donor's remaining lifetime balance that he may give in non-taxable gifts.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you bl

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant