How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an insuance broker that was employed by a company that

This answer was rated:

I am an insuance broker that was employed by a company that I was laid off from in mid Feb of 2009 and began collecting unemployment. I also freelanced for another agency and was paid a commission at the end of Jan 2009 for an account I brought them. I recieved a 1099 for the commission I received in Jan prior to filing for unemployment. How do I report this on my taxes?

Thank you for your help!


Hello leslie,


The income that was earned as a freelancer and reported to you on a 1099 form is considered income from self employment. You would report this income on Schedule C of your personal tax return which is used by sole proprietors, which is basically what you will be classified as.


You must also file Schedule SE with your return to compute the amount of SS and Medicare taxes that you will owe on this income.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you leslie



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. XXXXX use Turbo Tax, will the schedule SE your referenced be automatically filled out, or should I have a tax preparer work on my taxes for me?

Hello again leslie,


Turbo Tax will handle this form for you automatically. Part of the TT questionnaire on income will be a question asking if you had income from a business or self employment and you will answer yes to that question. TT will then fill out the Schedule C and Schedule SE for you automatically.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you leslie



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you