Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

OK, so it was in 2008 that I received those gifts and obviously

OK, so it was in 2008 that I received those gifts and obviously that tax year has already been submitted, paid and over...I assume all is well, as the IRS cashed our payment! :):) I just wanted to double check if the rule still applies for 2009.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello dutton,

The recipient of a gift is never the one who pays gift tax. If and when gift tax ever becomes due, it is paid by the donor of the gift and not the one who receives the gift.

Currently for 2009 and 2010 taxpayers may give gifts of up to $13,000 to another individual each year without reporting those gifts. If you are the recipient of such gifts, you do not include those gifts in your taxable income.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you dutton