How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I gave gifts to 2 children in 2009. How may this

This answer was rated:

My wife and I gave gifts to 2 children in 2009. How may this to used to reduce our taxes on this money?

Hello noel,


Gifts that you give to family members or friends can never be used as any type of tax deduction. The only gifts that qualify to be a tax deduction are donations that you make to a qualified charitable organization.


In fact, if you gave gifts of more than $13,000 to any one individual for the year, you must file Form 709 with the IRS to report those gifts. You would not likely owe gift tax because under current law, each individual is allowed to give gifts of up to $1 million in their lifetime before gift tax becomes due. But if you would ever exceed your lifetime limit on gifts, then the donor of the gift pays the tax. So if anything, you pay taxes on gifts you give rather than receive a deduction for them.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you roel



Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you