How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15196
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Higher Education Tax question. In 2009 I was taking

Resolved Question:

I have a Higher Education Tax question. In 2009 I was taking courses from two colleges. My primary college was Franklin University as a degree seeking student with one course left to take from that college. In addition, I was taking courses from Kaplan and was not admitted as a degree seeking student. However, the courses I was taking were being transferred to Franklin to complete my degree there.

My question is, since I was not a degree seeking student at Kaplan and only taking courses through their CFP program I have not received a 1098T. Since all the courses were related to my degree where do I add the tuition and fees for the courses at Kaplan that I do not have a 1098T for?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.


If you are claiming the Lifetime Learning Credit, here are the rules for the Lifetime Learning Credit:

  • Classes taken for fun, as a hobby, for no credit, or as a sport aren't eligible.
  • Cannot be used on tuition that was paid for with a grant, scholarship, or employer funds.
  • Can only be claimed once per year per household, even if multiple students are eligible.

A 1098T must be issued for every student attending a college or university. You may not count the CFP classes as there is no college credit received for them.


If you were required to take the courses due to employment then you may be able to take the cost on your Schedule A as an employee expense. If your educational expenses are acquired in order to further your knowledge in your current profession, and your company does not reimburse the expense, you can take a deduction.


I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I stated earlier, the CFP courses were transferred to Franklin Univeristy for credit and towards my Degree that I have now completed. Therfore, the tuition should qualify shouldn't it?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

The classes you paid for were not credit courses at the time of tuition payment. I would not claim the amount without a 1098T to verify the tuition payment was for a qualified course.

It is great that they were later accepted for credit use at the other school but at the time you paid the course fee it would not be considered for education credit. You can use the amount for the employee expense if you file Schedule A.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you