Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had a subcontractor who did work for my company and never

Customer Question
submitted a w9 after requesting...
I had a subcontractor who did work for my company and never submitted a w9 after requesting one. We cannot find him, we think he moved. How can we send him a 1099?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You need SSN of the payee to submit an information return - on the 1099-misc form.

You may mail the form to the last known address by certified mail and keep the receipt.

If you do not sent the form 1099-misc to the payee - you will be a subject to a penalty of $50 for each form.

You might be also a subject of the same penalty for an incorrect or missing TIN on an information return.

See page 12 instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

Let me know if you need any help.

The problem is that we do not have the information to send a 1099. How can we claim this as an expense?

Reporting the payment on the form 1099-misc and claiming the business expense - these are different issues. Your original question was about filing 1099-misc form.

Your supporting documents for business expenses should show the amount paid and that the amount was for a business expense. Documents for expenses include the following:

• Canceled checks
  • Cash register tapes
  • Account statements
  • Credit card sales slips
  • Invoices
  • Petty cash slips for small cash payments

Also if W-9 form was not filed - the payment to a subcontractor is a subject of 30% income tax withholding.

If you do not have supporting documents or they are not sufficient - the risk is that in case of audit your deduction might be disallowed.

Sorry if you expected a different answer.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor