How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I earned a significant amount of money in New York over a period

Customer Question

I earned a significant amount of money in New York over a period of 10 years and decided to 'retire' at the age of 38 to pursue non money earning activites outside of the US. I therefore arranged for a pension to start when I was 39. I just received my first payment and the company has taxed me at a rate of 38%. Is this the right amount of tax? Is my liability all to federal tax? Is there any NY state liability?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello scotlander,


Are you a US citizen now living abroad?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. I am a UK tax payer, living outside the US. I am a former green card holder. I handed in my green card at the embassy and file taxes as a non-resident alien.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Thank you scotlander


I will put your question back on the open board to see if someone can assist with your question.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Nobody seems interested...