Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I bought a stock and made $14,000.00 in profit. I then used

$5,000.00 of it to buy...
I bought a stock and made $14,000.00 in profit. I then used $5,000.00 of it to buy another stock then another $5-6000.00 of that profit to get back into the same stock. Do I pay taxes on the difference of what I put BACK into the original stock? Meaning if it was less than 30 days between sell and buy its a wash?
2/1/2010
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

HelloCustomer

Under the wash-sale rules, if you sell stock for a loss and buy it back within the 30-day period before or after the loss-sale date, the loss cannot be immediately claimed for tax purposes.

The wash sale rule only applies to losses. You can't wipe out a gain from a sale by buying the same stock back within 30 days.

You pay tax on the entire gain.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4