How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chad Oberg Your Own Question
Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 174
Experience:  10 + years of accounting and tax experience, financial statements and business planning
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chad Oberg is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a partner in 8 different businesses. I get income after

Customer Question

I am a partner in 8 different businesses. I get income after profits are determined each month. At the end of the year, I get K-1s on each business. The businesses are each their own entities-LLCs mostly. The businesses are located in each state, and I travel about two weeks out of every month to manage the businesses. I do not get reimbursed for the travel through the corporations. What is the best arrangement for me, tax-wise? Should I file a personal return and deduct my business expenses? Or should I have a separate corporation that serves as a pass-through; that is, which receives the profits from the corporations, and pays me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad Oberg replied 7 years ago.



If you deduct the business expenses on your personal return, you will probably be subject to limitations on you Schedule A. However, if you can set-up a company that has a business purpose (other than just deducting your business expenses) you would be able to deduct expenses such as these.


You could have a company such as an advisory company. You would need to find a way to book income to offset the expenses. A company shouldn't continue to loose money year after year or it may start looking suspect. Would the LLC's consider paying you an outright consulting fee that diminishes your K-1 returns?


Please let me know if you have any further questions. My firm services many clients that have similar circumstances such as yours.





Chad Oberg and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you located in Texas? I reside in Texas, but some of my businesses are elsewhere, such as NM, Nebraska, and Arkansas. Offsetting the K1 income with a consulting fee shouldnt be a problem.

I also own another business-a franchise-without any partners, and it is set up as an LLC.

I'd be interested in seeing how perhaps your group and I might be able to do business.