Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Q - If a company recorded accrued salaries expense of $500

Customer Question
Q:- If a company recorded...
Q:- If a company recorded accrued salaries expense of $500 at the end of its fiscal year, what reversing entry could be made? when would it be made?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2010
Tax Professional: Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Customer,

Generally, if the accrued salaries expense is calculated at the end of each period (whether at the end of year or monthly), you will clear it on the next payroll. For instance at 12/31/09 you would have booked something such as the following:

Salary Expense $500

Accrued Salaries Expense $500

On the next payroll, when you pay the salary expense of that associated period, you clear the accrual. Such as the following (assume the total payroll including the year-ending accrual is $2,000):

Salary Expense $1,000

Accrued Salary Expense $500

Cash $2,000

This is a simplified way off looking at payroll journal entries. Many companies run separate accounts for tax expense and accrued taxes, etc.....

Note: If you already have booked the next payroll. You will need to clear the accrued expense against payroll expenses since the payroll expenses account would be overstated.

Regards,

Chad

Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg