How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother will be turning 70 years old next month on February

Resolved Question:

My mother will be turning 70 years old next month on February 14th, 2010. She is still working and plans to do so until she is unable or no longer wishes to. She currently has a small 403b account at her job that is worth approximately $18,000. She realizes that she will need to start doing the minimal withdrawals next year but she really does not want to start taking money out yet. She still wants to add money while working and invest to have the money grow. Could she convert to a Roth IRA and somehow avoid a huge tax penalty for the conversion? Would there be a penalty if she does a direct plan to plan coversion and leaves it alone for 5 years? Should she just deal with the minimum withdrawals and open a Roth and fund it with the withdrawals?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

If your mother is still working for the employer sponsoring the 403(b) then she will not be required to take a distribution while she continues to work and she can also continue making contributions. Once she retires she will be required to begin taking minimum distributions. She is not permitted to required minimum distribution amounts to a Roth IRA.


She can convert to a Roth IRA this year but she will have to pay taxes on the conversion. If she converts in 2010 she has the option of spreading the taxable income from the conversion equally over the next 2 years (2011 and 2012) rather than paying tax on the entire amount in 2010. Spreading the conversion income over the following 2 years will defer the taxes and may also reduce them by possibly eeping her in lower brackets as compared to reporting the conversion all in 2010.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response. I understand everything that you stated but could you clairfy where you said...She is not permitted to required minimum distribution amounts to a Roth IRA.


And additionally, could she convert to a regular IRA and then roll over to a Roth and not touch it for 5 years will out penalties? Or does this not help at all? I thought I read something else online about possibly doing this.

Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry I omitted a word. It should have read "She is not permitted to convert required minimum distribution amounts to a Roth IRA".


Yes, she could directly roll over to a regular IRA and then convert to a Roth IRA. After the IRA is converted, she could take withdrawals of the converted amount prior to 5 years without implications because she would have already paid taxes on the converted amount. However, she would have to leave the earnings in the account for 5 years before they can be withdrawn tax-free.


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you