Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi, I live with my mother in her house. In 2009 I replaced

Customer Question
Hi, I live...
Hi, I live with my mother in her house. In 2009 I replaced our worn out furnace
with a 95% energy efficient furnance. I paid for the entire project myself. Can I claim
the energy credit on my tax return seeing I paid for the new furnace. Thanks, Jeff
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

According to the instructions for Form 5695 you can take the credit for your main home.

You must reduce the basis of your home by the amount of any credits allowed. To reduce the basis of anything must own the home. Since the home is owned by your mother you may not claim the credit.

I wish I could advise other. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is useful,

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4