How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live with my mother in her house. In 2009 I replaced

Resolved Question:

Hi, I live with my mother in her house. In 2009 I replaced our worn out furnace
with a 95% energy efficient furnance. I paid for the entire project myself. Can I claim
the energy credit on my tax return seeing I paid for the new furnace. Thanks, Jeff
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer.

According to the instructions for Form 5695 you can take the credit for your main home.

You must reduce the basis of your home by the amount of any credits allowed. To reduce the basis of anything must own the home. Since the home is owned by your mother you may not claim the credit.

I wish I could advise other. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is useful,

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you