How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired in Nov. 2008, and looked for a part time job to keep

Resolved Question:

I retired in Nov. 2008, and looked for a part time job to keep busy ( age 59 ). I did find a job for a parking lot company doing maintance.
To get the job the requirements were to have a truck and have own tools, I had the tools but had to buy a truck to get the job, and use it every day to work and to all the lots to do the work, what can I claim.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.

Are you being paid as an employee, or a 1099 contractor?


Mark D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am an employee, I started at the end of may 2009 and work for about 4 to 5 hrs a day.
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.

You may claim the use of the truck for business purposes and miscellaneous itemized deduction (subject to 2% rule) using Form 2106 to report vehicle costs gas, and mileage. When properly fill out using tax software, the program will let you know if it is more beneficial to deduct the mileage (55 cents per mile in 2009) or actual costs (depreciation, gas, oil, insurance and repairs). Please note that only business mileage is deductible and would not include commuting mileage. Please let me know if you have further questions.


Mark D
Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you