Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband wants to know why I need a US return Because I

My husband wants to know...
My husband wants to know why I need a US return? Because I don't live in the US, and I'm not a citizen or even a resident yet. Thanks for your prompt last reply.
2/1/2010
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Customer,

You do not need to file a return in the US. In your first question you asked if you needed to get a Social Security number for your husband to file his return, and I gave you my reply, which was:

Your husband can file his own separate return unless he chooses to file a joint return and include your income and include you as a dependent. If he wants to include you then you need a taxpayer ID number (ITIN) and you would fill out Form W-7 and send it in with his tax return. If he wants to file a separate return, then you do not need any US tax ID number.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button so I can receive some credit for helping you.

Thanks

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Tink,

Nobody said that you needed to file a US return. You do not need to file a US return. Your husband needs to file a return, but you do not need to file a return.

When your husband files a return he has the choice to include you on his return if he wants to but it is not required.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant