How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I sold a property in Florida this past year, but live in

Resolved Question:

If I sold a property in Florida this past year, but live in NY and work in NJ, who do I pay Gains tax too?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 years ago.
Dear "Customer",

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You pay Federal and NY tax on the gain. FL doesn't have an income tax or a special capital gains tax, so you don't owe any tax there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about NJ, as I work there.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 years ago.
No, you are only taxed on income from the source state (NJ for your employment, FL for the property) and your residence state (NY). Your income is actually taxed in both NJ and NY, but there are exclusions or credits which reduce the double-taxation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, so sorry for repeating:


Florida = NO




and of course federal is YES.

Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 years ago.
Correct. FL = NO because there's no state income tax. NJ = NO because there's no jurisdiction.
Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions