Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

two corporation owned by same person-is only one surtax exempion

Customer Question
allowed...
two corporation owned by same person-is only one surtax exempion allowed
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2010
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Thanks for your question.

The two corporations would be considered a controlled group. Yes, only one surtax exemption is allowed. But the $50,000 surtax exemption amount may be divided among the corporations (apportioned) in any desired proportion if all members agree to the apportionment plan. If there is no apportionment plan, then the $50,000 exemption must be divided equally ($25,000 exemption per corp.). This can be elected on Schedule O attached to Form 1120.

For more information, see http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Reg._1.1561-3

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Edited by JK_CPA on 1/3/2010 at 5:25 PM EST
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA