How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do contract work for an employer who pays monthly and gives

This answer was rated:

I do contract work for an employer who pays monthly and gives the money owed one month later. Till December 31 he hasn't paid the money for Nov and Dec 09 as of yet. Is this income if received, considered taxable for year 2009 ?



Whether or not this is taxable income for your 2009 tax return depends. Independent contractors can opt to pay taxes on a calendar year or a fiscal year. If you have already opted calendar year, you will pay taxes on this income when you file your 2010 taxes. If you are running on a fiscal year, you will pay taxes for whichever year it is to be included (depending on when your fiscal year ends).


You can find more information about this in Pub 334, on page 12, located here:


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you