Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

last year when i filed my taxed i made an adjustment so my

Customer Question
refund was higher but i...
last year when i filed my taxed i made an adjustment so my refund was higher but i did not get the adj amount I got the original refund listed. what do i do? i used turbo tax to file
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello alisa,

Can you please explain in a little more detail exactly what type of adjustment it is that you made so that your refund would be higher?

When you say you made an adjustment, was this before or after you filed your return? In other words, did you make the adjustment on your original return or did you file an amended return to make the adjustment?

it was on my original return and the adj was my retirement savings contribution amout when i entered it im asuming the corrected refund amout did not get to the irs because i was refunded the lesser amount

Hello again alisa,

Without actually seeing what transpired on your return, it sounds as though possibly your return was submitted to the IRS prior to you making that change. If that is the case, then the IRS would have never seen the change that you made and would have processed your return based on the original return you submitted.

What you would need to do now is file an amended return on Form 1040X to make the adjustment. An amended return cannot be e-filed, and must be sent by regular mail. Once the IRS receives your amended return and processes it, they would issue any additional refund which you are due as a result of this change.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you alisa

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant