Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Was told by brother that I over paid on my taxes (for years).

Customer Question
LLC gave distribution monies each...
Was told by brother that I over paid on my taxes (for years). LLC gave distribution monies each year and apparently we did not need to claim this a an income. Is he correct? and if so How do I now go back and get my refund? I have used Turbo tax for years.Would this put me under scrunity from IRS?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you have LLC with several members - it is treated as a partnership for tax purposes.

Partnership should issue schedules K-1 to each partner (and to the IRS) reporting pro-rata share of net taxable income/loss - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1065sk1.pdf - please verify which forms did you received from the LLC.

That form should be used for your individual tax preparation.

So - if LLC has an income - your share of such income is your taxable income.

If the LLS distributed part of your original contribution - that is not your taxable income.

If you overpaid your income tax - you may claim a refund, but please be aware that there is three years statute of limitation to claim a refund - starting from the date when the tax return was due.

Thus - the 2005 tax return was due on Apr 15, 2006 and the statute of limitation to claim a refund run out on Apr 15, 2009 - so you may not claim a refund for 2005.

You still may claim a refund for 2006, 2007, and 2008.

To do so - you need to file amended tax return - use the form 1040X - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

File a separate form for each year and mail to the address in instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

Filing an amended tax return - if all information is correct will not put me under scrutiny from IRS.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor