How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid $ 80,000 in back taxes for my company (incorporated)

Resolved Question:

I paid $ 80,000 in back taxes for my company (incorporated) from my personal account. Can I deduct this from my personal income tax as a business expense ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Was this back tax for income taxes or payroll taxes? Are you an officer of the corp? Is this an S-corp or C-corp?


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was a C corp. The taxes were sales tax (+ interest and penalty). I first was going to consider it a loan, but I closed the business before I was repaid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was an officer in the company. MA law has the principle/owner pay any sales tax the company does not pay.
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.


Sorry but I do not have good news. Unfortunately, you may not deduct the sales taxes paid on behalf of another entity per page A-2 of the Schedule A instructions. This is also not a valid business expense since it not an ordinary expense that would be paid by a principle.


States will hold officers of corporations responsible for unpaid sales and employee withholding taxes because these are considered trust fund taxes. The tax when assessed to a principle is generally called a "Trust Fund Recovery Penalty". So since it is actually a penalty, penalties are never deductible for taxes.


If your corp was still in existence, you could have written up a formal loan document to fund the company for the taxes. Then you could have later wrote it off as a bad debt if the company became insolvent. However, it is too late at this point to do that.


Hope this helps,

Best regards,




Edited by JK_CPA on 1/2/2010 at 10:30 PM EST
JKCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you