How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother is 80 she has been living with me for 3 maybee 4

Resolved Question:

my mother is 80 she has been living with me for 3 maybee 4 years her only income ,is not income ,but her monthly social security roughly 2000 a month . last year i claimed her as a dependant for the first time claiming head of household . now she gave me a gift out of her savings of 57000.00 i know about the gift tax and the exclusion but my question is can i still claim head of househo;d or should i go back to filing single
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello indy,


As long as you paid more than half the cost of keeping of the home where your mother lives, and you can claim her as a dependent on your return, then you are still eligible to file as HOH.


The amount of income that you earn or the amount of gifts that you receive has nothing to do with being able to claim HOH status. It is strictly based on the fact that you have a qualifying person which you claim as a dependent and you pay more than half of the cost of keeping up a home for that person.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you indy



Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you