How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on unemployment. A company asked me to edit

This answer was rated:

I am currently on unemployment. A company asked me to edit an article for them. I did this from home and they paid me. I did not claim unemployment for that week. I have edited a total of two articles in the past 3 months. I am not an employee of the company. They pay me as a contractor,
a 1099 worker. Is this correct? I am in the state of Georgia, if that helps.



If you only edited a couple of articles for this company, and did this from your home and worked on your own schedule, then the company could classify you as an independent contractor. If your earnings from this company were more than $600 total for the year, they would send you a 1099 form no later than January 31st to report the amount of money you were paid.


You will need to file Schedule C with your personal tax return to report these earnings and pay any taxes which are due.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you