Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I had to amend my 2008 tax return last year and my AGI changed,

Customer Question
what would I use this...
If I had to amend my 2008 tax return last year and my AGI changed, what would I use this year for my AGI to EFile my return? Would I use the original amount on the 1040 or the amended amount on the the 1040X?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello Diane,

If you filed an amended return for 2008, you should still use your AGI as it was reported on your original tax return for purposes of e-filing your 2009 return.

You must use the original AGI amount from the originally filed return. This year's return will be rejected if the amended AGI amount is used. Do not use amounts from an amended return, a corrected amount from a math error notice, or a changed amount from the IRS.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Diane

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant