How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I had to amend my 2008 tax return last year and my AGI changed,

Customer Question

If I had to amend my 2008 tax return last year and my AGI changed, what would I use this year for my AGI to EFile my return? Would I use the original amount on the 1040 or the amended amount on the the 1040X?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello Diane,


If you filed an amended return for 2008, you should still use your AGI as it was reported on your original tax return for purposes of e-filing your 2009 return.


You must use the original AGI amount from the originally filed return. This year's return will be rejected if the amended AGI amount is used. Do not use amounts from an amended return, a corrected amount from a math error notice, or a changed amount from the IRS.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you Diane