Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife & I are presently residents of Fl., I also own a home

Customer Question
in RI.,I am retired and...
My wife & I are presently residents of Fl., I also own a home in RI.,I am retired and my wife has been offered a full time job in Ma. & she will have to move to Ma.,if she takes the job. Where is the best place to file our Federal tax return and how & were will we file our state tax return?

Carroll
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2010
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Hello Carroll,

just to be clear...Would you be moving with your wife? Will she be moving to MA or your home in RI?

I will not be be moving to MA with my wife. She will be moving there by herself for a period of at least 8 months while she works for TSA at the airport in Nantucket.
Carroll

Thanks for your question.

If she makes more than $8,000 while working in Massachusetts, she (& you if married filing joint) will be required to file a Massachusetts income tax return, Form 1 NR/PY- Nonresident/Part-Year Resident Individual Income Tax Return and Massachusetts Schedule R/NR - Resident/Nonresident Worksheet. This schedule calculates the portion of income earned, as well as the deductions and exemptions allowed while a part-year resident and a nonresident. You can e-file this return through tax software or print and mail the form at their website: http:/ /www.mass.gov/?pageID=dorterminal&L=7&L0=Home&L1=Individuals+and+Families&L2=Personal+Income+Tax&L3=Forms+%26+Publications&L4=Forms+Index&L5=Forms+by+Year&L6=Income+Tax+Forms+and+Schedules&sid=Ador&b=terminalcontent&f=dor_forms_inctax08_inctax08&csid=Ador#1_nrpy

If you have any RI source income such as rental income for your home, you may need to also file a RI state income tax return.

For the federal taxes, if you are going to file a married filing joint return, you can only have one address on the Form 1040, so you must pick one primary address. You can e-file this return if you wish. If you file by paper, you should mail it to the address as shown on the last page of the Form 1040 instructions http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf based on the state from the address you are using on the return.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA