How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our adult son and two of his minor children have lived with

This answer was rated:

Our adult son and two of his minor children have lived with us all of 2009. He has not been employed during this time, and we have provided all of their needs to include lodging, food, clothing, medical, minor children school expenses, transportation, etc. Are we entitled to claim them as dependents on our income tax return as he will not be filing? These expenses have not been slight, so the ability to claim them would be very helpful as my wife's job was eliminated in February of 2009 as well. You may respond to our email [email protected] if that would be more convenient. Thank you for your assistance. Thomas Beadles, Franklin, TN

Hello Cubs,


Did your son have any unemployment benefits or income of any kind at all for the year?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, absolutely no income

Hello again Cubs,


As long as your son did not have income of his own of more than $3,650 for the year, then you may claim him as a dependent if you provided more than half of his support for the year.


If the two grandchildren lived with you for the entire year, and both of them are under the age of 19 or under the age of 24 and full time students, and they did not provide for more than half of their own support, then you may also claim the two grandchildren as dependents.


In addition, if the two grandchildren are under the age of 17 and you are able to claim them as dependents, you will also be able to claim the child tax credit of $1,000 for each child. This credit directly redcues any tax that you owe but not below zero.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you Cubs



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you