How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my boyfriend bought a house in 1009 and qualified for

This answer was rated:

Me and my boyfriend bought a house in 1009 and qualified for the $8000.00 tax credit. Can we still file separately, and I claim $4000 and he claims the other half? Would we still use 1040EZ? I usually file with TurboTax, is that still ok?

Hello Chanlee,


Have you and your boyfriend gotten married since you purchased this home?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.


No. I guess you would say we are "common law". However, I have a 6 yr old and I am custodial parent so I have always claimed head of household with her as a dependent.

Hello again Chanlee,


The only reason I had asked if you had since gotten married was that you asked in your original question if you could still file separately. If you are not yet married, then filing as single or HOH are your only choices. You cannot file a joint return with someone you are not married to.


That being the case, you and your boyfriend will continue to each file your own returns, and you can each claim half of the new homebuyers credit.


You can still easily use Turbo Tax to prepare your returns, however, you will not be able to file the Form 1040EZ. Claiming the first time homebuyers credit will require that you file Form 5405 to figure the credit, and then you must use the regular full Form 1040 for your tax return. You cannot use Form 1040-EZ or Form 1040-A.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you Chanlee



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you