Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently surrendered a life insurance policy and requested

Customer Question
that Federal tax be withheld...
I recently surrendered a life insurance policy and requested that Federal tax be withheld. My current residency is in Florida but the home address my insurance company had was in Maine. The insurance company witheld the Federal tax but also withheld taxes for the State of Maine which they indicated was law according to the state of Maine. The insurance company advised me to consult a tax person to see what steps I need to take to get the the money refunded from Maine. I have been a Florida resident for over 7 years but my address never got changed in the insurance company's system. I do maintain a second home in Maine but have been filing taxes in Florida. Is there some kind of form to file with the State of Maine to set things right?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello cap,

What you will need to do is file a non resident tax return with the state of Maine to claim a refund of the taxes which were withheld in error.

On the return that you file you will be asked to enter the total of your Maine source income and the total of ME taxes withheld. You will simply enter zero as the total of your Maine income, and then show the tax amount which was withheld, and you should receive a refund check for those taxes.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you cap

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant