Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

we are seniors filing jointly. Our ss joint income is approx

we are seniors filing jointly...
we are seniors filing jointly. Our ss joint income is approx 25000. other net income is 11000. Do we pay any taxes?
1/1/2010
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

Can you please tell me the source of the other income you have of $11,000? Is any of that from self employement earnings?

no, the income is from a part time job

Hello againCustomer

Thank you for the additional information.

If your total SS benefits for the year are $25,000, you may have up to $19,500 in additional income before any of your SS benefits would be taxable. So if your only other income is $11,000, then none of your SS benefits are subject to tax.

If you are both over the age of 65, your standard deduction would be $13,600 and you would also have two personal allowances of $3,650 each, for a total of $20,900 in deductions against that income. This would leave you with no taxable income and therefore you are not required to file a return and will not owe any taxes.

However, even though you are not required to file a return, if you had any federal or state income taxes withheld from the $11,000, then you would want to file a return to claim a refund of those taxes.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer/p>

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant