How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

up to what amount can you inherit before you have to claim

Resolved Question:

up to what amount can you inherit before you have to claim it on your income tax return?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



Can you please tell me what state you live in and what state the person who left you this inheritance lived in?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i live in illinois and a deceased parent who left me the money also lived in illinois.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



There is no inheritance tax at the federal level. Instead, the IRS imposes estate taxes which are only paid by estates which exceed a certain value. For decedents who died in the year 2009, that value was set at $3.5 million. Estates below that value owe no estate taxes.


There are a few states that still impose an inheritance tax, but IL is not one of them. IL does also have its own estate tax, but the exemption amount is the same as the IRS, which is $3.5 million.


If your parent's estate exceeded those values, then the estate itself would pay estate taxes out of the estate assets. The balance of the assets then pass to you or to any other beneficiaries without further taxes being due.


That being the case, you would not be required to report any of your inheritance on your tax return with one exception. If the money you received was held inside of an IRA account or other similar tax deferred retirement account such as a 401k plan, then normal income taxes are due on those funds when they are withdrawn from the account. You would receive a 1099-R form from the investment company at the end of the year to show the amount you withdrew, and you would include that as taxable income on your return.


But money that is from a regular bank account such as a savings acct, checking acct, CD, etc. does not need to be reported and is not taxable and does not need to be reported.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a small amount was IRA money. when i receive a 1099-R form is that for both fed. and state returns?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again golden,


Yes, it will need to be reported on both your federal and state tax returns. Withdrawals that you receive from an IRA account are treated the same as ordinary income that you would have from a job or other sources.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you