Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a resident of Maryland and my husband is a resident of

Customer Question
Florida. He is also...
I am a resident of Maryland and my husband is a resident of Florida. He is also in the military. We live in Maryland and I have Maryland income, he doesn't. Can we file a joint federal return and I file a separate Maryland return? Or do we have to file a joint Maryland return?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2010
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 7 years ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
If he's stationed in Maryland, you live in Maryland to be with him, and you maintain a domicile in another state, you may be exempt from Maryland income tax under Federal law, even if you have income from Maryland sources.

Maryland law specifies that you may file a separate return from your spouse if he's domiciled in a different state. See instructions 7 in the resident tax booklet.
We reside in Maryland but his home of record is Florida and mine is Maryland. I just need to know if I can file a Maryland return using the filing status of married filing separately. I've tried reading instructions 7 but I don't understand it.
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer