How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am thinking of cashing out my underperforming 403b with TIAA

Resolved Question:

I am thinking of cashing out my underperforming 403b with TIAA CREF. I have $32K in it and want to witdraw $30K to use as a down payment on a home. My question is, what kind of taxes and penalties will I be forced to pay in order to witdraw $30k ???

My gross income for 2009 will be $65K salary, plus $10,000 in freelance income after I account for taxes against the freelance work.

I am single, age 50, no dependents, and a first time home buyer.

Many thanks,

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.
If you are still working for the employer sponsoring the 403(b) then you can only take a distribution if it is for a hardship and it meets the plan's definition of a hardship. If you take $30,000 then the federal income taxes will be approximately $7,902 (26.3%) and you will also owe a 10% penalty tax ($3,000) because you are under age 59 1/2.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - I was planning on using the "hardship" issue. My father lost his home and needs somewhere to stay. I plan on buying the house to make sure he has somewhere to live. Is this "good enough" to qualify as "hardship" ?
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

Withdrawing the funds to purchase a home does meet the definition of a hardship and assuming you have no other resources available to meet the hardship. See the links below:,,id=211439,00.html,,id=162416,00.html


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you