Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is a person, who has joint citizenship in the US and Canada,

Customer Question
required to file a US...
Is a person, who has joint citizenship in the US and Canada, required to file a US tax return if they have no US income? This person resides in Canada and reports all income on their Canadian return.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

As a US citizen, you are required to report your income earned worldwide. So yes, you are required to file a return in the US and you would need to report your income from Canada or from any other sources in the world.

Since you permanent reside outside of the US, you would be allowed to claim the foreign earned income exclusion which is currently $91,400 per year. What that means is that the first $91,400 you have in foreign earnings would be exempt from US tax. But even if your income is below this amount, you are still required to file a return and report your income and claim the exemption.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer/p>

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant