How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a person, who has joint citizenship in the US and Canada,

Resolved Question:

Is a person, who has joint citizenship in the US and Canada, required to file a US tax return if they have no US income? This person resides in Canada and reports all income on their Canadian return.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



As a US citizen, you are required to report your income earned worldwide. So yes, you are required to file a return in the US and you would need to report your income from Canada or from any other sources in the world.


Since you permanent reside outside of the US, you would be allowed to claim the foreign earned income exclusion which is currently $91,400 per year. What that means is that the first $91,400 you have in foreign earnings would be exempt from US tax. But even if your income is below this amount, you are still required to file a return and report your income and claim the exemption.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you