Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am just setting up an S-Corp as I am a real estate investor,

Customer Question
currently not planning to buy...
I am just setting up an S-Corp as I am a real estate investor, currently not planning to buy and hold properties. I was advised that I cannot back date the start of the corporation, as it won't be "approved" by the state I live in until this month. I have incurred numerous expenses since May of this year (education, office expenses, mileage, etc.). Can I still claim them for taxes if I use this calendar year as my tax year? Should I say that I want my tax year to go from May 1, 2009 to April 30, 2010. I do not want to miss out on deductions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello terry,

In the first year that you actively start your business, you may deduct start up expenses which were incurred prior to that time up to a maximum of $5,000. You may also deduct up to another $5,000 for organizational fees. Any amounts you paid for start up expenses or organization fees which exceed these amounts must be amortized over a period of 15 years.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you terry

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant