How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the owner of a small business. I have no employees. But

Resolved Question:

I am the owner of a small business. I have no employees. But from time to time I offer a workshop as one of my services, and I hire the workshop presenter. Is the fee I pay to the workshop presenter considered a payment to a contract worker (for which I have to file a 1099) or is the fee a professional fee?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.

If you pay the presenter $600 or more for the year, you will need to file a 1099-Misc. My suggestion is, before you give them payment have them fill out a W9 Form. Please let me know if you have further questions.


Mark D

Edited by Mark D on 12/1/2009 at 8:09 PM EST
Mark D and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you