Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am the owner of a small business. I have no employees. But

Customer Question
from time to time I...
I am the owner of a small business. I have no employees. But from time to time I offer a workshop as one of my services, and I hire the workshop presenter. Is the fee I pay to the workshop presenter considered a payment to a contract worker (for which I have to file a 1099) or is the fee a professional fee?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2009
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 7 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Customer

If you pay the presenter $600 or more for the year, you will need to file a 1099-Misc. My suggestion is, before you give them payment have them fill out a W9 Form. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

Edited by Mark D on 12/1/2009 at 8:09 PM EST
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent