How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some money coming from a grandfather he was wanting

Customer Question

I have some money coming from a grandfather he was wanting to give it to me now rather than wait till after he is gone. Would it be better to get it now or wait? How do we avoid giving it to the IRS?

Dave, WY
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 7 years ago.

How much money is in question?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

$ 100,000 to $ 150,000



Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 7 years ago.

He can go ahead and give it to you now if he wants. He will need to file a gift tax return for the amount that exceeds $13,000. There should not be any gift tax due unless he has made over $900,000 in gifts in prior years.


You will not owe any tax on the money.



Related Tax Questions