How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are a US citizen and 65 or older, receiving Social security

Resolved Question:

If you are a US citizen and 65 or older, receiving Social security and Medicare benefits and partially live abroad outside of the US is it legal to continue receiving benefits?

Is it legal to receive social security?
Is it legal to receive Medicare (when deducted from your social security monthly)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 7 years ago.



If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States just like you were inside the United States. You are eligible for them the same as if you were in the United States all year.


Complete information for citizens and non-citizens is in the publication at


Likewise, a citizen does not lose any Medicare eligibility due to being outside the United States for part of the year.

Of course, there is very limited coverage outside the United States that Medicare will pay for servces outside the United States. For more details see the publication at


I hope this helps to know you can still be covered since you are a citizen.


Best regards.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions