Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you are a US citizen and 65 or older, receiving Social security

Customer Question
and Medicare benefits and partially...
If you are a US citizen and 65 or older, receiving Social security and Medicare benefits and partially live abroad outside of the US is it legal to continue receiving benefits?

Is it legal to receive social security?
Is it legal to receive Medicare (when deducted from your social security monthly)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2009
Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 7 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States just like you were inside the United States. You are eligible for them the same as if you were in the United States all year.

Complete information for citizens and non-citizens is in the publication at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html#what

Likewise, a citizen does not lose any Medicare eligibility due to being outside the United States for part of the year.

Of course, there is very limited coverage outside the United States that Medicare will pay for servces outside the United States. For more details see the publication at http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

I hope this helps to know you can still be covered since you are a citizen.

Best regards.

jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent