How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does the IRS require for a person to be able to deduct

This answer was rated:

What does the IRS require for a person to be able to deduct intrest from a Home Equity Line of Credit? Thank You Eric



Thanks for your question.


You should receive a Form 1098 from the lender after the end of the tax year showing how much interest you paid on the Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC). You may deduct home equity debt interest, as an itemized deduction, if all the following conditions apply:

  • You are legally liable to pay the interest
  • You pay the interest in the tax year
  • The debt is secured with your home
  • You do not exceed certain limitations

The HELOC is considered by the IRS to be a second mortgage on a home. Any mortgage that is placed on a home that is not the primary mortgage or loan taken out in order to purchase, build or reconstruct the home is considered to be a second mortgage. Limitations that exist include that the individual cannot deduct more than $100,000 in interest per year. If a couple is married but filing separately, the individuals, on their own, may not deduct more than $50,000 each.


Interest paid on home equity debt is an adjustment for the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). You can figure the AMT adjustment for home equity debt using the Home Mortgage Interest Adjustment Worksheet on page 2 of the Instructions for Form 6251.


For more information, see Publication 936 (2008), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction


Hope this helps,

Best regards,


JKCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you