How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am paying for my granddaughers school tuition but do

Resolved Question:

If I am paying for my granddaugher's school tuition but do not claim her as a dependent, can I claim the tuition as a deduction? She and her parents live with us and due to a her dad's kidney transplant and her mother's diabetes have hugh medical bills so they do not pay rent p does this affect our reporting status? Thanks for any help you can give.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.
Jesse, how old is your granddaughter? What is your gross income? What is her parent's gross income?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My granddaugher is 12 years old. Our gross income the last two years has been quite high due to our selling some stock to try to save what ever we could of our IRA. So our income tax showed a gross amount of $191,617.00. This is in an IRA. We currently receive my husband's social security and teacher's retirement of approx. $1700. per month and an additional $2000 from my stock option IRA. My daughter and her husband make approx. $31,000 but with all their medical bills and mileage deduction due to his carrier job, they had a negative income on their tax return. This year my husband and I will only be reporting his social security monthly payments and my $2000monthly withdrawals from my account - no big sales of stocks - so we will probably back to a normal income level. Hope this makes sense. thanks
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.



There is currently no deduction for school tuition other than post-secondary (college). I do have a suggestion for you though. If your daughter and her husband are coming up with a negative income, they are not receiving any benefit from claiming your granddaughter. They might consider letting you claim the granddaughter as a dependent (since she meets all tests to be you dependent as well as their's). Even further, they should have a tax preparer look at your return and their return for the previous year and see if you would have gained more from claiming her. If so, an amending tax return may be filed on both of your parts and may get you back some additional money that you could even share with them.


My best to your family. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you