Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

is there a per diem i can write off as some one employed in

Customer Question
alaska?...
is there a per diem i can write off as some one employed in alaska?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
11/3/2009
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
HiCustomerbr />
Thank you for using justanswer. There is a per diem for meals, depending on where in Alaska you work that ranges from $50-$80. Please see chart below: (you will need to copy and paste the link in your web browser:)

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdcgi/pd-rates/opdrates.cgi

Although they list a per diem for lodging, you must use actual expenses for lodging.

There is also a per diem for business miles of 55 cents/business mile. See below:

www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=200505,00.html

In order to claim a business per diem, you do need to have log books showing the place/business mileage/business reason substantiating your claim.

I hope this helps.
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer